Athletics Ireland announce Connacht Regional Squad
In a new departure in 2007, Athletics Ireland have picked a regional squad in each region and planned 3 regional squads training days later this year. The juvenile squad is based on U14 and older age groups and was selected in Connacht by Mary Barrett who is the Head Coach for the Connacht Regional Squad.
Congratulations to the 10 Craughwell AC athletes who have been selected for the squad. We have many more athletes who are very close to the standard required for this squad, so keep up the training and don't be dissapointed if you didn't make the squad this year.
The regional squad days supplement rather than replace the training that these athletes receive with their clubs. The following are the Craughwell AC athletes selected in the squad this year:-
- Linda Porter, middle-distance
- Paul McGill, shot putt, javelin and hurdles
- Ashley McDonnell, middle-distance
- Sarah Helebert, long jump
- Ruairi Finnegan, 200m
- Tomás Keehan, long jump and high jump
- Cathriona Farrell, high jump and combined events
- Maeve Curley, race walk
- Rachel Finnegan, hurdles
- Sarah Finnegan, hurdles
The following are the dates of the regional squad days:-
- Sunday October 14th IT Sligo 11:00am – 1:00pm
- Sunday November 18th Galway RSC, Dangan, Galway 12-2:00pm
- Saturday December 1st Galway RSC, Dangan, Galway 12:00pm
Note that it is planned to have other squad sessions that will be open to all athletes in Secondary School.
Check out http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=2624#more-2624 for details of current Connacht squad.