Fantastic Turnout for fit4life 5k – updated with results!
Tony Nevin's organisational skills will go down in history after today, not alone coordinating a fantastically successful fit4life 5k but also organising a midsummer's day in the middle of what has been the most miserable January for many years with deluge following deluge almost every day.
99 runners/joggers/walkers took part beneath Craughwell's sunny skies, mostly coming from the fit4life groups in Athenry AC, Craughwell AC and Galway City Harriers, with a handful of other runners taking part. This was almost double the anticipated number of participants!
A full report and results of the race will follow later, together with photographs taken by the ever-reliable John O'Connor who is rapidly becoming the photographer of choice on the Galway road racing scene.
Some words of thanks to a few people involved on the day
- The aforementioned John O'Connor who expertly went about his business amidst the enthusiastic crowds.
- Wayne Gill, who sponsored the energency ambulance which followed the race. Wayne is a Neuromuscular and Sports therapist, based in Oranmore and deals with all types of sports injuries, He can be contacted at 087 9427294.
- The fit4life groups in Athenry, Craughwell and Galway who turned out in force today.
- All of the people who helped out with registration, stewarting, finishing etc particularly Athenry AC's James Lundon who rose from his sick bed to do the official timing and returned to it after the race.
- Athletics Ireland's Regional Development Officer Paul McNamara who has been a huge support to Craughwell AC in many different activities and who helped out with marshalling today.
- The 'elite' pacers who set the pace in 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, 32, 34 and 36 minute groups today. They sacrificed their own race to help their paced group and did a great job!
- The folks that manned the water table enroute on the course.
- The crew who worked through the night making sandwiches and baking cakes for the hungry masses and who fed and watered them after the race.
- Mark Davis who labored hard on getting provisional results and times together when everyone else was tucking into the sandwiches.
- Finally to Craughwell AC's Tony Nevin who did the lion's share of the organisation for this event and who is the engine and inspiration for our fit4life group which numbers close to 50 now.
Update By Mark:
Provisional Results are Below:
There was a slight mix-up due to some of the pacers crossing the line and some not – let me know via a comment if your time looks odd. Also – some of the athletes down as Craughwell are actually planning to register for Tuam AC – this will be updated later when we have the details,
|48||Muiriosa Ni Cumhaill||Craughwell||148||00:28:00|