Next Friday is the day to mark in your Diary. If you don't get to a computer on that day then your summer could get off to the worst possible start….
Six Galway Athletics Clubs will once again come together to organise a series of low-key, no-frills 5km roads races around the county on six consecutive Tuesday evenings from the 27th of April 2010 through to the 1st of June 2010. The Athenry, Clare River Harriers, Craughwell, Galway City Harriers Loughrea and Tuam clubs have organised a similar series of races for the last four years and the initiative has proven very popular. As usual the races will take place on Tuesday evenings at locations around the county and will culminate in the final race evening in Galway City on Tuesday the 1st June. The now traditional social evening and distribution of series t-shirts and spot prizes will follow the final race.
As in previous years these evenings are specifically designed with the beginner in mind and are perfect for the many members of the Fit4Life groups that have become established all around the county. Runners of all standards are welcome to take part.
The race dates venues and start times will be as follows,
Athenry – Tuesday the 27th April 2010 at 7:45pm
Tuam – Tuesday the 4th May 2010 at 8:00pm
Craughwell – Tuesday the 11th May 2010 at 8:00pm
Claregalway – Tuesday the 18th May 2010 at 8:00pm
Loughrea – Tuesday the 25th May 2010 at 8:00pm
Galway City – Tuesday the 1st June 8:00pm
There are a few small changes from previous years so please read the arrangements given below carefully.
- The cost of entry to the series of six races will be Euro 25.00. Online entry will be available on www.RunIreland.com from 12:00 noon on Friday the 26th of February 2010. Entries are only available online.
- No prizes will be awarded for any of these races. All races courses are accurately measured and a full result will be available shortly after each event.
- A specially designed, souvenir t-shirt will be awarded to everyone who enters the series and completes at least five of the six races.
- For full details of the individual races keep an eye on the individual club websites (links below). There are a limited number of series entries available and they will be strictly allocated on a first-come, first-served basis.
- For the first time, the series will make use of electronic finish line timing this year. Each series entrant will be issued with an electronic chip, which they will retain for the entire series and then return on the last night. Participants will also be issued with a race number, which they must wear for each of the races in the series. If you don’t have a chip and a race number on the night, you cannot take part. A timing mat will be placed at the finish line only and so the time recorded for each athlete will be from ‘gun’ to finish line. Replacement race numbers can be issued on the night at no extra cost if needed.
In case of lost or misplaced chips a new chip can be issued prior to each race at a cost of Euro 5.00 If you need a replacement, arrive early Remember, no chip or race number means no finishing time!
Finish line timing for the Galway 5km Series is provided by Red Tag Timing.
Athenry AC http://www.AthenryAC.com/
Craughwell AC http://www.craughwellac.com/
Galway City Harriers http://www.galwaycityharriers.com/
Loughrea AC http://www.athleticsloughrea.com/
Tuam AC http://www.tuamac.com/