This Saturday the Galway Indoor track and field takes place in Nenagh. A provisional program of events is available at www.galwayathletics.com. Note that all times are provisional and subject to change on the day.
The following are some notes for parents/athletes on the day of the event, particularly for parents who have not been down in Nenagh before.
Before You Leave Home
– It is recommended that the children wear their running gear underneath a tracksuit or trousers/sweatshirt so that they do not need to queue for access to the changing areas.
– All athletes should wear their club singlet and shorts (white colour preferably). If you have not already purchased a singlet, please contact Mary Greaney (087 9141505) to organise one.
– Younger athletes may prefer to wear the singlet over a white t-shirt.
– Bring sandwiches and light snacks (bananas, snack bars) as there may not be a shop on the premises. Most importantly, please bring drinks of water – no fizzy drinks for competing athletes please!
– The running track is top quality, but the building can be extremely cold. So please bring warm clothing for both yourself and your children. (Woolly hats recommended!)
– Runners or running spikes should be worn. Spikes should be 5mm – if you had longer ones in for cross-country, you will need to remove them.
For those who have already given their names to travel by bus, the bus will be leaving from the hall in Craughwell at 9.00am sharp. It’s likely to be back in Craughwell sometime between 6pm and 7pm. The cost of the bus is €10 per athlete, with parents traveling free, and a maximum of €15 per family. This charge normally covers 50% of the cost – the club covers the rest.
Please aim to arrive by 10.15am. It is approx 75 minutes drive from Craughwell to Nenagh. We need athletes there early in order to get race numbers, to warm up and to organise relay teams, etc. The events start at 11am with the relays starting at 11.30am. Most of the day will be taken up by the events in Nenagh, from 11am until approximately 4.30pm. So please be prepared for a full day away.
Directions from Craughwell
– N6 … Loughrea … N6 … turn for Portumna … Portumna … Borrisokane … Nenagh
– When you get to Nenagh, continue into the town and turn left at the junction after SuperMacs.
– Continue for a few hundred metres and turn right on the Thurles road at the small roundabout.
– After few hundred metres, you pass the hospital on the left – turn right here.
– Entrance to the running track is 100m or less from here – on right-hand side.
– If you are there early enough, you’ll get parking outside the track. Otherwise cars normally part in the estate just before the track. Call Michael Tobin 087 6591879 if you have any difficulties finding it.
Stay in the Indoor Arena
– All athletes should remain in the indoor arena – they are not allowed to leave unless with a parent.
– Please check with a club official before leaving in case all of the athlete’s events are not finished.
– Parents who are not travelling, please emphasise to your children that they MUST remain in the Indoor Arena.
– Parents who are travelling – we can use as much help as possible on the day to officiate at events or help organise the Craughwell athletes. You don’t need to be an expert in order to help out with some events, e.g. digging a long jump pit, holding a measuring tape etc.
Good luck in your events and I hope you enjoy the day!