Well done to everyone on a massive performance at yesterday’s Galway track and field in AIT International Arena. When reporting on the previous year’s championsips in Nenagh, I boasted of our largest contingest ever taking part with over 120 athletes travelling. Well this year, we broke all records with 209 athletes from the club entered in the championships and almost all of them taking part.
There were many many highlights for the club – here’s a few of them:-
- The aforementioned participation rate – you couldn’t turn around without seeing a Craughwell AC singlet!
- Cathriona Farrell’s brilliant 1.80m jump to win the Senior Women’s High Jump and gain Cathriona a new personal best. That height places Cathriona fifth (!!) on the all-time best ever Irish female high jumpers in indoor competition.
- Sineád Treacy’s and Conor Duggan’s fantastic sprint performances with both claiming the Galway Senior 60m titles.
- The elite mile where AIT’s John Travers went ever so close to breaking the elusive 4 minute barrier. It would have been the first time the magical mark was breached indoors in Ireland but it was not to be with John just outside it with a 4.01.47 – but it is an all-comers record for Irish indoor jumping.
- The tighest long jump competition I have seen in Galway and possible any championships that we have been involved in with the U10 girls long jump producing a result that saw 4 girls (all Craughwell AC) all jumping 2.57m which took bronze and another 3 (all Craughwell AC) jumping within 5cm of that and another 1 taking victory in the same event. So gold to 1 girl, bronze to 1 girl and 6 others miss out by 2 inches or less!
- The huge number of coaches and parents from all of the clubs who helped out as officials on the day which helped it run smoothly and finish just 15 minutes behind schedule at 5.45pm. Our club were wonderful in this respect providing between 20 and 30 officials throughout the day, thank you everyone!
I will post more details later on our fantastic performances but for the moment, here are the provisional results:-