Primary School Athletes Do Their Schools and The Club Proud!
It was a busy busy day last Tuesday for the club at the annual Galway Primary Schools Cross Country. This event is getting bigger and better each year and this year was no exception with over 800 children taking part in the 4 races.
Many athletes from the club competing with distinction for their schools with many highlights, including:-
– Individual titles for Grainne McDaid (representing Craughwell NS) and Oisin Doyle (representing Oranmore Boys School) in the 5th/6th class races.
– 3rd place for Derbhla Cronin (representing Lisheenkyle NS) in the 3rd/4th class 800m.
– Three of the four team titles going to teams which almost fully comprised members of the club.
– Double team titles for Oranmore Boys in the 3rd/4th class race and the 5th/6th class race with incredibly low scores.
– Team title for Craughwell NS in the 5th/6th class girls race and 2nd place in the 3rd/4th class race.
– 1st and 5th place for Craughwell NS A and B teams out of the 32 teams in the 5th/6th girls race, with 10 finishers in the top 52.
– 5 of the top 6 teams in the 5th/6th class boys race featuring athletes from the club: 1st Oranmore Boys, 2nd Scoil Mhuire Clarinbridge, 3rd Carabane NS, 4th Craughwell NS and 6th Ballymana NS.
Well done to all who took part as its a big achievement even to finish this race and athletes from the club finished well up the ranking in all the races. Particularly well done to
– Oranmore Boys NS who retained their Galway titles with very strong runs in the 2 boys race
– Craughwell NS 5/6th class girls who also retained their Galway title and their 3rd/4th class team who took the silver medals.
– Scoil Mhuire Clarinbridge and Carabane NS who took their first sets of team medals in a number of years in the 5th/6th class boys race when tying on points in 2nd and 3rd place, with Clarinbridge shading it by virtue of having the lowest 4th scorer.
– Ballymana NS who came in 4th place in the 3rd/4th class girls race and Craughwell NS boys team who finished 4th in the 5/6th class race and 5th in the 3rd/4th class race.
Well done also to
– Scoil Mhuire Oranmore who took 3rd place in the team event in both of the girls race in only their 2nd time participating in the event in recent years.
– The boys and girls schools in Athenry who each took a set of silver medals – the boys finishing 2nd in the 4th class race and the girls 2nd in the 6th class race.
Full results of the 4 races are available here. Note for athletes from the club who qualified for the Connacht finals, the club will have a bus travelling up but will need a parent accompanying each team since its a school event.