Just outlining the current status on the new athletics facility that we are creating adjacent to the school so that everyone knows where we are at with it. Read on for details.
Site Purchase and Development
We are very close now to closing the purchase of the land for our new athletics facility. The legal process has taken longer than anticipated but we are very nearly there and hope to close mid-August. We have already done some development just to get the ball rolling – with the creation of a pedestrian access from the school. With the meadow just having been cut in that field, we hope to get the land fenced off late next week or early the following week. That will set us up nicely for immediate use once the purchase closes.
We hope to get the following work done in the remaining weeks of August and first couple of weeks of September:-
- Tidy up of the boundary along the school.
- Construct roadway for first 20m of the adjacent private roadway – this is part of our planning conditions and is the first step to having that roadway taken in charge by the County Council.
- Initiate the process of taking the roadway in charge.
- Install lighting in the new field along the new boundary fence – approximately half way up along that fence.
- Remove stones and rocks from the field and fill any holes with top soil.
- Create a sprints area 70m long and 4m wide, part of which will double up as a runway into a new long jump which will be created at the same time.
- Create a high jump area adjacent to above.
- Purchase tartan/rubber tiles and install on both the sprinting and jumping areas.
- Purchase and install a new high jump mat and metal cover/garage.
Finances and Fund Raising
This is going reasonably well but we still needs loads of help from parents to raise approximately €40,000 more to help us to do the initial development of the facility. In this regard we have a number of initiatives.
Sponsor the ground
We are still seeking donations from members either up front or via standing order over a period of time. If considering this please fill out the attached donations form and return to Michael Tobin. I will shortly be listing a map of the field and building with sponsors names unless people wish to remain anonymous.
Enter our golf classic or sponsor a green/tee box
We are holding a golf classic from Monday 4th August to Saturday 9th August in Cregmore Park Golf Club. You can read all about it here. We have some wonderful prizes including green fees together with accommodation or lunch at a number of leading golf courses. We will be announcing the prize list on the website on Sunday night next.
We greatly appreciate your support and please remember when considering above that this facility is going to be a wonderful asset to both the club and the community. The place will be so big, it will accommodate a range of activities for both young and old. The coaches in our club are doing a fantastic job in helping many children develop an active and healthy lifestyle, and in many cases becoming seriously talented athletes who will achieve major things. Please help us to help your children!
And if your children are grown-up and have moved away, you never know when your grandchildren will be coming down to us! And even if you or your family don’t use the facility, you’re still benefiting from having clubs like the athletic club keep the youth of the area busy and happy so that they are not hanging around the village getting into bother! It helps keep the price of your house up :-).
Thanks for reading and please support us!
Some of the committee at the launch of our Golf Classic in Cregmore
Brendan Treacy, Siobhan McFadden, Mark Gillen, Tracy Moran, Michael Tobin