The Connacht Schools track and field championships were held yesterday in glorious weather conditions recently in Dangan. With second-level schools from all over Connacht represented, this is the highest level of competition available within Connacht to teenage athletes. Twenty athletes from the club had qualified for this championships and all competed with distinction. Eight of these athletes claimed Connacht titles:-
– Cathriona Farrell (Athenry VS) in the Intermediate Girls High Jump, setting a new Connacht record of 1.70m
– Kelly O'Donoghue (Pres Athenry) in the Intermediate Girls Javelin with a throw of 21.62m.
– Maeve Curley (Seamount Kinvara) in the Intermediate Girls Walk in a time of 10.19.6.
– Ashley McDonnell (Pres Athenry) in the Junior Girls 200m in a new PB of 27.0 seconds.
– Paul McGill (Gort CS) in the Junior Boys Javelin with throw of 31.09m.
– Linda Porter (Loughrea VS) in the Minor Girls 1500m in a time of 5.19.5.
– Caoimhe Quill (Pres Athenry) in the Minor Girls High Jump with a new PB of 1.41m.
– Jack Raftery (Athenry VS) in the Minor Boys High Jump with a leap of 1.40m.
There were silver and bronze medals in abundance also with the following in the medals:-
– Rachel Kenny (Pres Athenry) in the Intermediate Girls Triple Jump, leaping a PB of 9.85m.
– Cathriona Farrell in the Intermediate Girls Long Jump who rediscovered her long jumping form with a leap of 5.10m.
– Tomás Keehan (Gort CS) in the Intermediate Boys High Jump in a new PB of 1.70m.
– Paul McGill in the Junior Boys Shot Putt with a throw of 11.07m
– Rachel Finnegan (Loughrea VS) in the Intermediate Girls 80m Hurdles in a time of 13.2 and in the 300m hurdles in a time of 50.5
– Ruairi Finnegan (Gort CS) in the Junior Boys 800m in a time of 2.18.0
– Niall Rooney (Athenry VS) in the Junior Boys High Jump with a PB of 1.60m.
There was hard luck for a number of other athletes also including:
– Debi Kenny (Pres Athenry) with a 4th place finish in the Minor Girls Long Jump with 4.28m – her best jump this year but just behind the board so in reality a 4.50+ jump which would have taken the gold medal.
– PJ Kelly (Gort CS) with a 4th place finish in the Minor Boys Long Jump with 4.38m.
– Orla McDaid (Pres Athenry) 5th in the Minor Girls 800m in 1.47
– Katie O’Donoghue (Pres Athenry) 5th in the Minor Girls 200m
Full results of the top finishers in each category can be found here ConnachtSchoolsTFResults2008.pdf.
Best of luck to all the athletes who qualified for the All-Ireland Schools track and field finals which will be held in Tullamore on Saturday 31 May. Program for that day is on the Web at http://www.isaa.ie/.